Monday 18 January 2016

The Train Man


As I commuted on the train back from work, I noticed a man incessantly scratching and applying a "nasty cream" (that is my opinion as it did not help relieve his vigourous scratching on his face, ears and hands). His skin had that odour of skin that had been weeping.....I felt sad as I watched him fight himself. So I thought I'd provide myself as a distraction.....I sat next to him and talked about his condition and my condition. He asked me what I did to drastically reduce my symptoms and I said "hard work/trial and error". I started off with my diet and immediately he told me how he loves his food and likes a couple pints of beer after work. He wouldn't want to change that.

So I told him, at the end of the day it is your choice about whether you want to heal properly or not. The quick "medical" fixes will only be temporary for our long term eczematic conditions. I am thankful that I am able to adapt and change. Not wanting to change and adapt your lifestyle is an obstacle to your healing ability. The sooner you get over it, the sooner you will find out how you can heal yourself.

He then shared with me that the doctors had "given up" on his condition and the only thing was to increase his steroid dosage to get temporary relief.

I smiled and told him to write a blog about his condition so that he can observe/reflect on what is going on. At the end of the day, it is down to you to fix it. The doctors really can only guide you and give you a quick fix.

In my opinion the quick "medical" fixes are a waste of money. I am so much happier with the long term healing I have found in diet, herbal teas, non-usage of soaps, washing powder (non bio), keeping the dust levels low in my room and so many more things.

Anyhow the distraction worked and as we conversed he scratched less and less. By the time he had come to his stop, he had completely stopped scratching :) Distrations are great when we're itchy so that we focus less on the itch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi

First timer on your blog and reading from all the way in Australia. I am thoroughly enjoying both your findings and commentary, esp because your observations are based on fact and research. I have only recently understood the power of our bodies' natural resilience, the enormous impact diet has and taking a holistic approach to healing myself.

Endeavour to read all your blogs in the next coming weeks but wanted to say thank you in advance!

- Ray (Xma from Oz)