Monday 21 December 2009

Scratching at Night

Scratching at night sucks. When I scratch, I scratch hard and this wakes me up and thus I have a poor night's sleep. Any small irregularities on the nail will become a knife and cut into the skin and I'd be sore.

When the eczema was really bad, I used to get myself up and have a cold shower, a bit extreme, especially in winter but a fast way to cool me down. I'd then moisturise the skin. My legs still get itchy at night but are way better.  I throw my legs out from under the blanket and look for a cool spot. If it is really itchy, I mosturise and take an antihistamine. Sleep is far more important than getting stressed about sorting it out.

My observation of night time itching appears to be one of 3 reasons:
1. The skin is dry and hence itches - I sleep with a pot of cream!
2. The skin is hot and hence itches - this would become more so due to the scratching.
3. Dust mites - so I change my bedding and vacuum my room. When the skin droppings were excessive, I cleaned my room and sheets every day. Now it is about every 3 days. However everyday I always shake my sheets outside once I have gotten out of bed. Maybe this is paranoia but psychologically makes me feel better about the bedding I sleep on.

One lady I correspond with found French Argiletz clay has helped to heal to clear her eczema and has shared this formula with me: - French pink or white clay (for dry, sensitive skin), melted coconut oil, purified water.  Mix into a smooth paste and apply to body parts all evening - use cling film at night. I have yet to try it due to the health food shops not having it readily available. I really should pursue internet shopping. Anyway would recommend you do a web search on the healing powers of clay. Interesting stuff.

Currently still soaking and smoothing in moistened table salt onto skin to exfoliate as well as help heal the skin.

I'm going to start eating raw food again as have found that it seems to help me not itch when am hot and/or sweaty!  

Hope this helps you in some way poster Nivea

5 comments:

Nivea said...

Hi, thanks for your post. May i know your name?

My skin is dry, but not so dry until it flakes. It looks normal. My skin always break out those red spots here & there which look like very very small bubbles. It is itchy, and i will scratch until the bubble burst haha. I can't apply moisturiser every day, it does not dry out the red spots. Prickly heat powder will dried out the red spots. I'm now trying to remind myself to apply moisturiser first before i scratch. Hopefully after after applying moisturiser, it won't itch then i no need to scratch. Instead of after scratching, i'll feel guilty and applied moisturiser to it haha.I also applied dead sea mud once a week. Dead sea mud can draw out toxins from skin. I seem to itch less after doing the dead sea mud.

Which country are u staying? I'm staying in a hot climate country, no four seasons. Only sun. But heat is ok for my skin. I've tried UVB treatment which doesn't seem to have any progress.

Nivea said...

Merry Xmas to u & happy new year. Hope your skin will get better and better every year :)

Unknown said...

Hi I'm Alanah and I have REALLY bad eczema. I've had it since I was about 13 months old that's what my mommy and daddy say. I was wonder if yours ever went away. I've been living with mine for 11 years and it's getting better. My skin doesn't look normal. You can see the cuts and wrinkles (I've always said they were wrinkles) and i really want to wear short sleeves or u no shorts, but I'm always self-conscious at school because people always ask "What's wrong with your skin?" and it makes me mad and embarrassed. The only time I notice my self not being self conscious is when I'm around my family, but I want to be that way around my friends too. Have any tips? And any tips for not scratching at night? or when something irritates my skin? I also have A LOT of food allergies plus i few environmental ones. I would tell all this to my mom, but I get kind of embarrassed.

Anonymous said...

MoisturizersThis wіll act as yοur inіtіal line
of dеfеnse. The dust anԁ gгimе stick to the oily epiԁermіs and maκе it glance uninteresting and lifeless.
My web site :: how to treat dry skin

Anonymous said...

Use a mix of white kaolin clay with water and apply. Wash when dry. The paste shouldn't be runny or too thick . Do it daily.