Tuesday 13 June 2017

Will Ya Moisturising Cream Kill Ya?

Just read in the Evening Standard, a local London newspaper, that fifteen people have died in London in the past three years after using flammable moisturisers that "turned them into human wicks,"


Source: The London Fire Brigade

So what moisturisers are these? The type that are prescribed by GPs for Eczema/Dermatitis that is the emollient creams - paraffin and petroleum-based moisturisers.

Typically elderly patients are prescribed these as well and if apparently according to the London Fire Brigade, if you smoke you could light yourself up as well!

I don't smoke but the really bad eczema that used to be rampant all over my body, started healing when I gave up the prescribed emollients.

Source of article:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/fire-brigade-issue-warning-over-flammable-moisturising-cream-after-15-deaths-a3563161.html

Currently only the inner elbows, neck and a bit on the face have eczema :)

1 comment:

Colin said...

Hi

This is something I have often considered. I use Hydromol ointment each night in an attenmpt to keep my hands in some sort of condition. As a non smoker I am probably at less risk than those that smoke.I think I will carry out an experiment with a small amount of the ointment, not on my hands of course, to see just how easily it is to ignite. I will post my findings on my blog.

http://www.handeczema.co.uk/blog