Sunday 10 March 2013

Steroid Creams & Marketing Lies

Louise's comments:

"Did you know steroid creams can themselves be a cause for eczema type rashes?

Users typically treat a small patch with cortisone, only to find that it comes back after a week or two. This can lead to a spiral of addiction. Try natural methods for relief instead.

More info can be found at itsan.org. Itsan is a charity helping people who are suffering with steroid cream dependent eczema."


Thank you Louise for your comment. I totally agree! Thank you for the reminder. I admit after having clear skin and then seeing the eczema spreading up my body, I panicked and let the GP take control!

Steroid creams will give you temporary relief. They do not cure eczema. I believe steroid creams are a marketing ploy by the greedy pharmaceuticals. Basic marketing principles: create need, then you have a market. I am seeing this lie over and over again in industries (petrol cars, bagged vacuum cleaners, running shoes & diet!!!) I was in a Health Food shop today and a customer had asked for a specific product for a particular condition. The customer service/salesman told her that it appears that the product might not be effective from proof on the web. She bought something else, however the salesman's manager was not happy as this went against the principles of selling. The product is in the shop because we sell it and one has to sell what the customer has requested even though it might not be right because that customer will be back to purchase more in the belief the product was helping her.

I'm with the salesman on this occasion.

The only cure for eczema is to remove the irritant from one's environment. I became blaise with my diet; blaise with the amount of time I spent outside (my skin likes sunshine but like many I hate going outside in the winter months); blaise with my water drinking..... The only reward I have received is my body returning to the itch cycle although thankfully the skin is not flaking as badly as it once had as though I have patches that are very itchy, the whole body is mildly itchy (means I can tolerate it).

I have stopped using the steroid cream. The GP wanted me to wean of the steroid cream by first using it continuously, then every other day, then every 2 days, etc. I have done this before. The steroid cream did ease off the itching but the eczema returned once I had stopped using it.

This is to remind myself that using steroid creams is useless. It sucks you into believing, hoping that it will cure and then makes you step onto the treadmill of dependency! It brings short term relief but does not heal eczema. I wrote this many moons ago. I have just seen this on myself again and on a little niece whose mother is desperate to get her little daughter's eczema under control. GPs prescribed us both cortisone creams. The little one's eczema has got worst, so the GP prescribed a stronger cortisone. Have recommended to her mother to get her an allergy/sensitivity test.

Our greedy economics have integrated into all parts of our society. With the internet we can begin to unravel the lies corporates have got us believing! It is time to change our destructive economics.

Thanks for reading my rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I happened to come across your site randomly via google. I went through a few of your posts and can really empathize with what you are going through. I have taken western medicines like steroids, antibiotics, and prednisone, done the salt water thing (and visited the Dead Sea twice), and other things as well. For the past year and a half, I have been taking Chinese herbal medicines, which have helped immensely. The theory behind it is that your body is too 'hot' inside, which is responsible for (a large part) of the scratching (at least for me - I would wake up every night sweating).

Anyway, your site really hit home with me - I've had eczema since birth but it really started to flare up in 2006 and I've only recently in the past year been able to 'get my life back' as it is now controllable. I wanted to contact you but you don't seem to have an email listed on this site - how can you be reached? I'm not looking for a pen pal or anything - I just want to help with some suggestions for someone who has gone through something what I have as well.


Wayne

sharin said...

I found that hydro cortisone creams worked for a short period of time when I was younger, but I trialed some cream last year and it seemed to make my eczema flare up worse.

It is all about testing & learning, trial & error. But agree most times cream and ointments are not useful