Wednesday 26 August 2009

Moisturisers, Emollients, Creams

When my skin was bad, I was using an emollient called Epaderm 5-6 times a day and continuously through the night as I pawed/clawed my skin. If I let anyone put something on my skin such as the sports physio, I get them to use Emulsifying Ointment. Both of these seem to not irritate the skin. I learnt my lesson when I allowed the sports physio to apply a so called "neutral" compound on me. It reacted and as the day progressed the itch became aggressive and soon eczema was all over my skin :o(

The emollients that I used seemed to do nothing so my GP recommended I try Epaderm. This seemed better, however didn't feel like it softened my skin. Instead it felt like it "sat" on my skin, acting more like a barrier cream. When the rash subsided, the skin texture was poor. I found that having rough patches on my skin caused me to scratch.....just because it annoyed me! I decided to be brave and tried out different commercial oils/creams such as:
- coconut oil bought from the supermarket
- some swiss brand don't remember what it is called
- Dove, Garnier for super dry skin, whatever feels okay on my skin

I have settled on using a placenta cream that a friend bought for me from Australia and Dove as both make my skin feel soft after application (and I had thick leathery skin). After applying the moisturiser, I overlay it with Epaderm to keep the moisturiser in for longer. I have now been doing this for 7 months, watching my skin slowly heal and it all seems to be working well. However the effects of sun might also be in play here. Will just have to see if this is still the same over the winter months.

Note 1: One of the clinical treatments of eczema is to use cortesoid cream and wrap with cling film in severe cases.......my cling film is Epaderm! My skin dislikes being hot so I don't use the cling film method!

Note 2: There are still skin texture differences especially in areas that I have scratched for over 20 years but I am gradually seeing it heal and experiencing increasingly long periods of zero itching. I contribute this to having made a number of lifestyle changes by observing when I scratched and the times when hives appeared on my skin.

Note 3: I did use a steroid cream for a short period in desperation. It did provide temporary relief, however got hit by shingles and had to stop usage. Then the eczema flared up badly once again. As far as I am concerned steroid creams are rubbish!

6 comments:

Jessica Flippo said...

I know you said steriod creams are rubbish for you but I have to say I was where you are or where and it all came to an end 7 yrs ago. I suffered terribly prior to that, scrathcing all day and night, even had to wear bandages on my wrists to keep the scabs closed up. I could only take baths because my skin burned so badly in the shower. I finally was given a steriod ointment, not a cream, by a new physician and it changed my life. The steriod cream version does not work for me but the ointment made all the difference. I use fluticasone propionate and it has cleared my skin up and has given me a chance to be normal, go swimming, work out, and a lot of little things that I struggled to do just because of my skin. I get checked out every six months because it is a steriod but I have not had any issues. I do want to say how much sunlight does help my skin as well. I almost crave it. It keeps my skin from getting blotchy or shedding badly. I actually tan for 10 minutes a week in the tanning bed and it just keeps things running smoothly. I hope your struggle with this eases up and you find what helps you manage this the best way possible. I think its different for all of us. Good luck!

Sharon said...

coconut oil works for me as well!

sigh...it is a long battle for us eczema sufferers. but im glad things are working out for you. i think things on my end are as well.

stay strong, and mosturize!! =)

I want good skin said...

Thanks Sharon and Jessica for your comments and encouragement

Anonymous said...

I really doubted steroid creams myself for 35 years I have used lots of creams. In desperation I went once again to a consultant and was once again was given a steroid cream but this time I used it with cling film after 40 - 50 days using the cream once a day with cling film. Now for 6 months the itch is gone and I don't use the cream at all anymore. Now my skin the consultant said was like elephant skin which could not suffer like "normal" skin so this allayed my fear. Anyway the monkey on my back is gone I am just sorry nobody told me to try this before now.

Unknown said...

My son is ow 16 and the last 3 years has been a slow increase on his eczema, which used to only be elbow and knee creases. Now sadly he is covered probably 75%. I know it is sore when we put on the diprobase and steroid ointments, but he suggested cling film so he could apply before going to college. Although i cannot see a difference, he says if. Othing else it stops the rubbing against his clothes during the day.

I feel so helpless as his mum. Thank you for sharing as it makes me aware, it is not necessrily "his fault" i.e. Not bathing etc........i want him to read these posts so he knows it is a long road, but there will be a light at the end of it.

Kevan Hubbard said...

I've mainly used betnavate,a strong steroid, it seems to take the redness out of the cracks but that could be psychological? I don't think steroid creams have much effect. I don't notice any correlation with weather either, hot/cold it can flare up,in fact going through a very bad patch now and on my way back from New Zealand to England via 3 days in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. Started on my feet too but not sure if that could be fungal(and ezecma) daktarin seems to have fought it a bit.